The Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corp built the Ninemile Remount Depot in the 1930s to provide pack animals for fighting forest fires. The facility is still in use by the Forest Service and includes a visitor center.
The brick post office in Dillon Montana was built in 1935. Dillon was established in 1880 by the Union Pacific Railroad to service the Montana gold mining area. Dillion is home to the University of Montana Western.
Used with the permission of the United States Postal Service®. All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Lochrie painted the mural in 1938, called News from the States.
The Savenac Tree Nursery in Western Montana was established in the early days of the Forest Service. In the 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corp rebuilt the nursery. It operated until 1969, producing up to twelve million trees a year to reforest the Northwest.
Learn more about the nursery in this Forest Service Publication: Savenac Historic Tree Nursery.